Name of the Activity : Labour Room Quality Improvement Initiative
Every pregnant woman and her family desires to have a joyful birthing experience with a safe and healthy mother and newborn. The services provided within the Labour Room ana Maternity Operation Theatre are critical to meet this aspiration.
Hence the Ministry of Health and a Family Welfare launched LaQshya to improve the Quality of Care in Labour Rooms and Maternity Operation Theatres in Government Medical Colleges, District Hospitals, Sub District Hospitals and other high case load Health Care Facilities , around childbirth and immediate postpartum period by having targeted intervention . Such patient-centric care, with delivery of appropriate and respectful care to each pregnant woman will go a long way in reducing mortality and morbidity of the mother and her newborn.
LaQshya : Goal & Objectives
LaQshya Operational Framework
LaQshya : Interventions
- Ensuring skill assessment of all staff of LR & Maternal OT through OSCE
- Creating an enabling environment for natural birthing process.
- Ensuring systematic facility-level audit
- Operationalization of ‘C’ Section audit.
- Quality Improvement Cycles
- Implementation of Clinical Guidelines, Labor Room Clinical Pathways, Referral Protocols, safe birth checklist (in labor room and Obstetric OT) and surgical safety check-list.
- Ensuring round the clock availability of Blood transfusion services, diagnostic services, drugs & consumables.
Journey of a facility for LaQshya intervention
- Reorganizing / aligning Labour Room and Maternity Operation Theatre layout and workflow as per “ Labour Room Standardization Guidelines” and “ Maternal and Newborn Health Toolkit ” issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- Ensuring that atleast all Government Medical College Hospitals and high case-load District Hospitals have dedicated Obstetric HDU’s as per GoI MoHFW Guidelines, for managing complicated pregnancies that require life-saving critical care.
- Ensuring strict adherence to clinical protocols for management and stabilization of the complications before referral to higher centers.
Implementation of the Programme
188 delivery points including 126 CEmONC Centers
- DME – 22 Medical College Hospitals
- DMS – 31 District Head Quarters Hospitals and 73 Sub District Hospitals
- DPH – 62 Community Health Centers
Tamil Nadu Current Status For LaQshya
Ensuring LaQshya Certification for all the Delivery points, thereby reducing the Maternal and Neonatal Mortality.