The Anemia Mukt Bharat strategy is being implemented in all villages in blocks of the districts through existing delivery platforms as envisaged in the National Iron Plus Initiative (NIPI) and Weekly Iron Folic Acid Supplementation (WIFS) programme Since 2018.
Anaemia Mukt Bharat Scheme is implemented in Tamilnadu in order to reduce the prevalence of anemia by 3 percentage points per year
Government Orders obtained:
Key Features of Programme:
It is a universal strategy and it focuses on the following interventions:
- Prophylactic Iron and Folic Acid supplementation
- Intensified year-round Behaviour Change Communication Campaign (Solid Body, Smart Mind) focusing on four key behaviours
- Improving compliance to Iron Folic Acid supplementation and Deworming,
- Appropriate infant and young child feeding practices,<
- Increase in intake of iron-rich food through diet diversity/quantity/frequency and/or fortified foods with focus on harnessing locally available resources.
- Ensuring delayed cord clamping after delivery (by 3 minutes) in health facilities.
- Testing and treatment of anemia, using digital methods and point of care treatment, with special focus on pregnant women and school-going adolescents
- Children of 6 – 59 months age
- Children of 5 – 9 years age
- Adolescent Boys & Girls
- Women of Reproductive Age
- Pregnant women
- Lactating Women
Anemia reduction targets for 2022
|Anemia prevalence (%)|
|Present Status||State target 2022|
|Children 6 – 59 months||55||37|
|Adolescent Girls (15 – 19 ) Years||54||36|
|Adolescent Boys (15 – 19 ) Years||26||8|
|Women of Reproductive Age||55||37|
Implementation of Anemia Mukt Bharat:
1. Children 6 – 59 months:
Iron and Folic Acid syrup is provided to the children in the age group of 1 to 5 years as 1ml on Monday and 1 ml on Tuesday – i.e., biweekly for 50 weeks in a year along with biannual deworming with half tablet of Albendazole tablet 400 mg during the National Deworming days conducted once in 6 months (February and August of every year)
2. Children of age group (5-9 years- Junior WIFS):
Weekly 1 Iron and Folic Acid tablet is provided to the children (School going / non school going children) in the age group of 5 to 9 years for 50 weeks in a year with biannual deworming with one tablet of Albendazole tablet 400 mg during the National Deworming days conducted once in 6 months (February and August of every year). Each tablet containing 45 mg. of elemental iron + 400 mcg. of folic acid, sugar coated - pink colour.
3. Adolescent Boys & Girls (10 – 19 ) Years:
Weekly 1 Iron and Folic Acid tablet is provided to the Adolescent Boys & Girls of 10 – 19 years age (School going / non school going children) in the age group of 5 to 9 years for 50 weeks in a year with biannual deworming with one tablet of Albendazole tablet 400 mg during the National Deworming days conducted once in 6 months (February and August of every year).
4. Pregnant women:
- For pregnant mothers, Iron and Folic Acid tablets is provided every day from second trimester of Pregnancy till delivery (Each tablet contains 100 mg elemental Iron + 500 mcg Folic Acid Sugar-coated, red colour) and Deworming is done with albendazole 400mg during 14th week of gestation.
- For Moderate anemic Mothers (Hb level- 7.1 to 8.9 gm/dl), Intra venous IV Iron sucrose (100 mg) infusion is given.
- For Severe Anemic Mothers (Hb level < 7gm/dl), Blood Transfusion is done.
5. Lactating Mother:
For Lactating mother one Iron and Folic Acid tablet is provided for 180 days in post-partum period every day (Each tablet contains 100 mg elemental Iron + 500 mcg Folic Acid Sugar-coated, red colour).
Total No. of HSC: 8713
Total No. of (PHC): 1885 ( Rural PHC – 1422 & Urban PHC – 463)
Total No. of Community Health Centre (CHC): 400 ( Rural CHC – 385 & Urban CHC – 15)
Total No. of Sub – District Hospital (SDH): 278 ( Taluk hospital – 204 & Non -Taluk hospital – 67 & WCH - 7)
Total No. of District Hospitals (DH): 31
Total No. of Medical College & Hospitals (MCH): 23